Be on the lookout for flooding and leaks.
April 9, 2019 | Posted in Uncategorized | By Mike Doetsch
Comments Off on Be on the lookout for flooding and leaks.
While we’re all enjoying the fabulous weather warm-up, it creates the perfect scenario for water damage around your home. All of that snow is melting quickly under the warm April sun, and snowdrifts act as dams by keeping the water pooled around outside foundation walls.
Water damage is expensive! Here are some suggestions to avoid potential problems:
- If needed, clear areas of remaining snow away from the outside of your home to create a pathway for pooled water to drain away properly. In spring, it may be necessary to readjust the grade around your home so that water drains away instead of collecting near the foundation.
- Check basements and crawlspaces to see if any water is leaking in through cracks in the foundation.
- Window wells can become tanks of water if snow-melt trickles in along the side of the house. Water can leak in quickly from these points!
- Make sure sump pumps are working properly and battery backups are functioning and ready to go.
- Clear leaf litter and debris from floor drains so that water can drain away quickly.
- If you have a sewer drain in the neighborhood near your home, check to see that it is clear of snow and leaves. The water draining from several yards can quickly turn into a small lake, and without adequate drainage it may begin to approach your home.